marți, 26 august 2008

1st Jacobs-inspired post

The traveling episode may be skipped, as the main point of all these days was my REAL coming to Jacobs University. A fresh Monday, a perfect weather for ducks, smiling faces at the ' Welcome desk'... Well, I was my very first visit to Campus, as the day before I got in just to take a glance( yes, I stepped in with my right foot!). However, today was the official welcome...
On my way from the hotel to the campus I was getting more and more nervous, in tandem with the speed indicator of the car ( grace to German Highways that, by the way, offer direction for Jacobs Campus). My arrival was very natural , very real; everything got set in a half an hour, I got my keys for my very cute room, filled the check-in forms, unpacked...well, I'm going to do this for the rest of the week.
This part looked quite familiar to every freshman, but for me was people's attitude that set the atmosphere and also my mood. I felt very comfortable being myself in this island of diversity. As my li'l duck on the desk says, I have to "dive into diversity". 95 nationalities joined together is an unique opportunity to explore and also an exercise for life. English is working perfectly right here, dissolving boundaries and constraints.
My new friends are as freshmen as I am. Besides my assigned advisers, I met my roommate (in fact, apartment-mate), Wiebke and some Romanian fellows. Well, that's because I forgot some of the others' names, but since I have my Jacobs Notebook ready, I'll start using it for names and "addresses" (btw, mine is MC 129, and I'm happy to have my room on the ground floor).
After at about six campus tours, we (my 5 already friends and I) had an off-campus tour. Luckily, we didn't get lost and arrive in time for the night party. However, we just took a glance inside the dance room and the bar, because we want to be ready for early morning sport activities. These will be begin at 7 o'clock....and I don't have an alarm clock. there's a nice online application to replace this item, but my blue IT friend is tired too, so I'm not sure if to keep it alive till morning.
This was a enthusiastically brief presentation of my first day at Jacobs, I hope to have time to come back more lucidly to this episode.

Niciun comentariu: